OUR CLUB'S HISTORY>>
The present Georgian Bay Hunters and Anglers Inc. has a rather colourful history that dates back to the 1920's. Founded in 1923, it was originally the Georgian Bay Anglers' Association. Without their own property, members held their meetings at various local hotels. Surviving records portray an active club that made deputations or motions to the Ministry of Natural resources.
The activity of the club was curtailed during W.W.II as many of its members answered the country's call. No record of meetings exist between 1940 and April 1948, although some present day members indicate the club re-activated in 1946. Between 1948 and 1950 the club changed its name to the Georgian Bay Hunters and Anglers Association to reflect the large number of hunters involved with the club. One final name change occured in the early 1970's when the club was incorporated. The name Georgian Bay Hunters and Anglers Inc. remains to this date.
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the original club house. Transported from Minicog in 1952, to the present property, the club house and most records were destroyed by a fire in 1973. Through the dedication and heart of club members a new, modern club house rose from the ashes of the original. This building exists today and provides a comfortable monthly meeting place for 330 members of GBHA Inc who as part of Zone H, are a member club of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH). Through the assistance of the Trillium Foundation and hard work of many club volunteers the club house is now fully wheelchair accessable.
WHO WE ARE>>
The GBHA is justifiably proud of its many accomplishments in the name of conservation. Efforts include stream restoration, wild turkey reintroduction, annual Pitch In, support for the OFAH, support for Wye Marsh Wildlife Centre and have participated in restocking projects with Eastern Georgian Bay Stewardship Council.
GBHA is also home to the Award Winning Georgian Bay Hunters and Anglers Junior Club. This program introduces youth from ages 4 to 21 to tradition outdoor activities such as fishing, hunting, shooting and archery. As well, the youth are active in conservation projects such as Pitch In, Tree Planting, Wood Duck Nesting Boxes and others. GBHA Junior Club has had the pleasure of winning the MNR Junior Conservation Award in 2005, 2008, 2011 and again in 2013.
GBHA also is an active member of the local Adopt-A-Road program by taking care of Vinden Street in Midland as part of the Adopt a Road program. Volunteers clean up trash and debris twice a year as part of what we give back to our local community.